Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Greetings From Zambia!

After two very long overnight flights I arrived here safe and sound. Zambia is beautiful and the people are quite warm and friendly. I'm very much enjoying the time in Lusaka.

Yesterday we took a ride up to the Central Province to look at the Mukonchi Rural health Center. The workers up there were really devoted which was nice to see. MSF is also doing some work at the clinic, so there were some trained community workers there teaching about HIV/AIDS to first time expecting mothers and what to do while pregnant. I heard from the clinic director there, Matthew, that the HIV rate is about 17% in Zambia, and newer data should be coming out soon. There was also an under 5 clinic for children that day and moms were lined up to get their children weighed and measured. I took some photos but don't have the means to post them right now but I will as soon as I can. The women seemed to enjoy getting to see pictures of themselves holding their children. But I still felt odd and a little out of place taking them.

It's the rainy season here and mosquitos can be seen trying to fight their way into the house at night. Malaria season has begun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I can't wait to read more on your adventures. And, by the way, congratulations!