Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Birthing Center



This is another photo from Mukonchi rural health center. This is the room where women who come to the center give birth. It's such a far cry from the sterile, plush rooms we see at any of the hospitals in Boston. We are so lucky. I haven't seen any actual births yet, but I have walked by a couple of women who I missed the big moment by only a few minutes. The one thing I noticed is how quiet they all are, and how alone.

The other photo is of Marion, Jason, and I with Juliet, who is one of the greatest midwives I've ever encountered. She runs the OB ward at Kabwe General Hospital.

Today we are back up in Kapiri getting the house ready. The landlord is using the rent money we paid him to fix up the house to "white people standards." Meaning, we would like hot water, insect screens to keep the malaria--I mean--mosquitos out, and showers. We are also getting a fence put in for security, otherwise it doesn't really make sense to have a guard if they can just run in when he's not looking. Our big debate is over the water storage tank. Yes, the water only runs in the am and evening, so if we want water all day we have to set up a tank so that it will hold it for use when the city shuts the water off. The water was quite yellow when I saw it coming out of the tap and in the bathtub, so I'm really curious as to what we will need to do to make is safe for us "white people."

Wow, the rain is starting to come down again. I find myself constantly watching the sky as it is so big you can just see various storms all over the place with areas of sunshine scattered. I've never seen anything quite like it. It will rain, but maybe only for a few minutes or an hour, and then stop as quickly as it started. Rarely is there thunder but today there is plenty.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Thanks for listening to my request for some pictures. :)